We require all potential club members to take a beginner’s lesson prior to application.
Those with prior skijoring or kick sledding experience will be evaluated by the club coordinators prior to acceptance.
Membership dues are $20 per person per year. For 2021-2022, we’re doing both eTransfers and registrations online, and bringing the registration papers to the club events.
Your membership dues pay for:
- Club liability insurance, paid annually. (Required by the Province and City).
- Trail booking on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Birds Hill Provincial Park’s group use area 1 trail and Spruce trails.
- Website maintenance fees.
- Prizes for special events such as the Poker Derby and Snow Motion Classic race.
- Other incidentals, such as signs, posters, patches, set-up fees for logo wear, etc.
Your membership fee entitles you to:
- Notification of where and when club runs take place.
- Beginner’s follow-up training on Sunday mornings, as permitted by weather.
- In-house coaching for skate skiing basics.
- In-house waxing clinics and other special events.
- Out-of-town excursions to dog-friendly trails.
- Fall training walks.
- Fall scooter / bike / canicross runs.
- Members-only discount gear nights at supply stores.
Note: Dogs should be over 1 year of age (1.5 to 2 years in the case of giant breeds) in order to be able to pull at speed while skijoring or kick sledding. Please talk to the co-coordinators about your young dog.
Kick sled rentals are only for club members. To become a club member you must take a beginner’s lesson or demonstrate ability for the sports and willingness to follow club rules.
Snow Motion is coordinated by Susie Strachan (founder), Lorne Volk and Kevin Champagne.
- Set safety rules for club events.
- Secure trail time at Birds Hill Park, the City of Winnipeg and a number of out-of-town trails.
- Teach beginners’ lessons and host guided tours on the trails.
- Spread the word about skijoring and kick sledding and secure community good-will for the sports.
- Organize events such as the Classic, the poker derby, etc.
- Work with other mushing clubs on a national and international basis.
- Work with other entities, such as gear suppliers, cross-country ski clubs and communities.
- Answer questions, encourage and provide lots of support!
During the pandemic, we are accepting either cheques or eTransfers of club dues and sending PDFs of the membership form to all club members.